At the European Coatings Show (ECS) 2017 – held in Nuremberg, Germany, from April 4 to 6 – Munich-based chemical group WACKER will be presenting four specialty grades of HDK® pyrogenic silica for paint, coating and adhesive applications. Hydrophobic HDK® H30RM and HDK® H30LM are particularly suitable for rheology control in automotive clear coats. HDK® H30RY can be chemically incorporated into resin networks and can improve mechanical properties of surface coatings and sealants. HDK® H20RH possesses excellent storage stability in basic systems and is ideal as a thickening agent in two-component adhesives and jointing compounds.
HDK® pyrogenic silicas
are white, amorphous powders of
and large specific surface
area. This high surface-area-to-mass ratio is responsible for the outstanding rheology effect of HDK® products. At the European Coatings Show 2017, WACKER will present four HDK® grades for advanced paint, coating and adhesive applications.
|Pyrogenic Silica Grades for Paint, Coating and Adhesive Applications
Additive with Methacrylic Functionality
- HDK® H30RY is hydrophobic, methacrylic-functional silica.
- The reactive product can be chemically incorporated into resin networks, enhancing mechanical properties of systems based on vinyl esters, polyesters or acrylates.
- This yields a broad range of applications – from coatings and adhesives to sealants.
- Moreover, the properties of dental fillings and nail gels can be optimized with HDK® H30RY.
Enhanced Rheology Control
- The hydrophobic HDK® H30RM and HDK® H30LM grades feature high specific surface areas and silane modification with pronounced water repellency, which is greater in HDK® H30RM.
- The two products are particularly suitable for binder systems of high polarity, whereby more pronounced rheology effects can be achieved with HDK® H30RM.
- Both grades exhibit excellent transparency in clear coats. Furthermore, they are entirely free of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) and thus enable crater-free surfaces during coating application. Accordingly, their main applications include surface coatings for the automotive industry and high-quality industrial paints.
Excellent Storage Stability in Basic Systems
HDK® H20RH is ahydrophobic silica that has been treated with alkylsilane. The silicone-fluid-free additive features exceptional rheological activity in polar systems and prolongs the shelf life, even at high pH values. It is thus suitable for use in amine hardeners of two-component adhesives. Further application fields include automotive adhesives, half-shell bonding in wind turbines, and chemical anchors. In addition, HDK® H20RH can give jointing compounds favorable pull-off characteristics. It also features good wetting properties
. Products formulated with this silica can thus generally be painted over very well after curing.
WACKER is a globally-active chemical company with some 17,000 employees and annual sales of around €5.3 billion (2015). WACKER has a global network of 25 production sites, 22 technical competence centers and 50 sales offices.